Over the years, NCOs (non-commissioned officers) have uttered little sayings or missives that have been forever etched in my mind. Whether they are true or not is not clear. Either way, I cannot forget these little sayings, and as far as I am concerned, they are the absolute truth, simply because a good NCO told me it was so:
1. Don’t trust anyone who doesn’t drink alcohol.
What makes him so special?
2. Every day of PT that is missed requires two days to make up.
It’s not science, but he was wearing a Drill Sergeant hat.
3. A stretch is ineffective unless it is held for at least 15 seconds.
Because 10 seconds is too easy.
4. You really don’t want a CIB.*
There’s a lot of baggage that comes with it.
5. Never, ever, mention rain in the field.
If you do, it will inevitably rain.
6. Nothing good ever happens after someone says “watch this shit…”
But it is probably funny.
7. You can always squeeze in one more.
One more rep, one more person in the truck, etc.
8. If it’s stupid but it works, it isn’t stupid.
Unless it is stupid.
9. Fake it until you make it.
False motivation is better than no motivation.
10. If it smells clean, it is clean.
Pine-Sol the shit out of the latrine!
There are likely many more that I just can’t remember right now. If you’ve got some gems, please leave them in the comments.
Enjoy these posts? Sign up for the monthly newsletter.